Sunday, September 12, 2010

Colossians 3:9-11

As I have said before, this blog exists to bring God glory as well as encouraging others in their fight to pursue Him. The name "Eikon" comes from the Greek word that we derive the word English "image". The reason why that word is so important to me is rooted in my testimony.

For so long I believed I was a less than perfect human being because I did not have arms. People consistently judged me on the basis of my physical appearance and usually that judgment was made apparent through people's stares, their unkind words and the jokes that followed. I placed far too much value on how those people judged me, which in turn gave me a poor view of myself and my own value. I struggled with self-doubt and I wallowed in my self-pity. My life was buried in darkness.

God pushed back all that doubt and darkness when I was 15 years old. He used a youth pastor who spoke very briefly about how God showed His love for me by sending His Son to this earth to live a sinless life and die......for ME. This was a message I had heard probably 50 times in my young life, but that was the first time that had truly listened. I was honestly shocked by the love of Christ. I went home from that lesson and I wanted to know more about His love. I went home and went racing through my Bible, wanting to know more. I did not know where to start reading so I went to the middle of the Bible...to Psalms. After about 20 minutes of reading I came to Psalm 139. In it the psalmist says:

"13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. 14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; 16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." ~ Psalms 139:13-16 (NASB)

After reading this it all clicked. I wasn't some horrible armless mistake. I was fearfully and wonderfully made. I wasn't full of flaws. I was skillfully wrought. Seeing myself in view of my Father altered everything about my life. My value and identity came from the One who made me. It was through making Christ the Lord of my life that I found my hope in Him who knit me together. It was because of His love, His sacrifice and the fact He desired to use me and my human imperfection for His glory is something that set my heart on giving Him my all. I think Paul speaks for my heart when He says in Colossians 3:

"since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, 10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him. ~ Col 3:9-10 (NASB)

My old self with its man-seeking, pity filled, self seeking ways are pushed aside. The man who pursues God, rejoices in grace and seeks to kill the flesh is now my life. To know I was made in His image is something that carries amazing responsibility. I am a representative of the Creator of the universe and I am the breathing, living, speaking image of Him. It is my responsibility to fight the old man and build up the new man. All for His image. All for His glory. That is why we are all here.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome testimony, Brother! Praise the Lord for your faithful witness! I know that the Lord will use you powerfully to communicate His perfect love and advance His Kingdom. May the Lord bless you richly in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys. Please feel free to share thoughts and let's encourage one another in Christ!