Tuesday, September 28, 2010

2 Corinthians 10:3-6

As I have been studying Scripture I have been drawn to the analogies that are constantly made between our spiritual life and a war. I've read Ephesians 6 probably 50 times and have an understanding of what the armor of God is. I've gotten to the point in my faith where I feel that I have my suit of armor on but I just sit quietly in my faith with a giant suit of armor and sword that I am putting to little use, but God's Word has the remarkable ability to send an armored soldier into battle with his orders. Paul says in 2 Corinthians 10:3-6:

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete."

For some of us this is strong language. For quite a few of us the words war and destruction are not apart of our normal vocabulary. Yet, in this Scripture war is not an option. It is the accepted thought of spiritual life. We are being assaulted by our flesh, by this world and by Satan himself on a daily basis. The sobering thing is that many of us are content to hunker down in the safety of our spiritual armor while we watch people in our lives get slaughtered by the works of Satan. I feel that at times I can trivialize the works of Satan. I know what Scripture says in Revelation...Christ conquers...Satan is cast into the lake of fire...the end. Until that day comes, Satan is going to cause as much damage and wage war against everyone he can. His aim is not to win (he already is the loser of this great battle) but his aim is to take as many casualties and cause as much damage as he can. Jesus warned Peter about Satan's aims in Luke 22 when He tells Peter that Satan has demanded to go after Peter and to sift (or literally overthrow) him. I must be careful to see that Satan is a very skillful liar, tempter, and destroyer. He is on the prowl right now seeking some new casualty. It is not a matter if you and I desire to go to war...Satan is already at war with us whether or not we choose to fight.

God did not save me and sanctify me to be a spiritual pacifist. God desires for us to destroy the strongholds of the devil, wreck the speculations that fly against our faith and to hack down that which exists for the destruction of the Christian faith. We are consistently reminded in Scripture to resist the devil. Oppose him. Set yourself against him. Intercede for those around you when they are overcome by the strongholds of this world.

Put your armor on.

Fight

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys. Please feel free to share thoughts and let's encourage one another in Christ!