Tuesday, September 21, 2010

2 Timothy 2

I find myself becoming spiritually "beaten up" from time to time. You know that feeling when you feel you have given all you can to your brothers in Christ? It's that feeling when in my difficulties I feel like my faith is needle thin. Its when worship turns to murmuring to music. Its when my prayer life revolves around my three meals a day. Its when taking my cross and following Him feels like I'm shouldering a city bus. Being spiritually "beaten up" is something that happens to a lot of us on an unfortunately regular basis. Its something I faced often in the last year, but God has led me out of that place and I fight daily to avoid going back. God used Paul's words to Timothy as my encouragement to continue in this fight.

"Keep in mind Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descended from David, according to my gospel. For this I suffer, to the point of being bound like a criminal; but God's message is not bound. This is why I endure all things for the elect: so that they also may obtain salvation, which is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. This saying is trustworthy:

For if we have died with Him, we will also live with Him;

if we endure, we will also reign with Him;

if we deny Him, He will also deny us;

if we are faithless, He remains faithful,

for He cannot deny Himself." ~ 2 Timothy 2:8-13

Timothy is having a very difficult time in his ministry. Timothy is frustrated and even wonders if he is truly cut out to minister to others. Paul is writing this letter to Timothy to encourage him in his ministry and even more than that; Paul is trying to encourage Timothy in his relationship with Christ. In verse 8 Paul points to the sacrifice of Christ Timothy's greatest source of encouragement. Paul wanted Timothy to find encouragement in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. We are to look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who, for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross, despised the shame, and has now sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. That is the Gospel, the Good News, that we we live by, teach and suffer for.

Again, in verse 9 Paul wants Timothy to be mindful of the fact that our faith is vibrant and it cannot be suppressed or chained. Timothy was undoubtedly discouraged that his mentor in the faith, Paul, was imprisoned for his faith and sentenced to death. Yet, Paul is assuring Timothy that there is nothing that Paul desired more than to share the Gospel and if found to be guilty of doing such...so be it. Nothing can chain our faith. Nothing can bind our salvation. God's Word will thrive and have power in spite of man's plans to quiet it. We should make His Word such a part of our life that we know, tangibly and completely know, of God's power and strength over our lives. This is certainly no promise of prosperity or a life free of challenge but it is a promise of resting our hope in a faithful and loving Savior. We fight and press on because there are so many who need to know of this Gospel and of this strength.

Finally, Paul closes this thought to Timothy with promises from God's Word. In verse 11 Paul is quoting Jesus in John 8 when Jesus says, "I assure you: If anyone keeps My word, he will never see death—ever!" and then in verse 12 Paul quotes Jesus from Mark 13, "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Our hope in Him does not fade---ever! His love is not separated from us---ever!

In the times we feel battered spiritually, know God is there for you! You may not feel love, you may not feel victorious but know your hope and salvation is unwavering in Christ. Rest and be refreshed in His Gospel! Count on Him, because He is there for you and I even when we are in chains and in our darkest place.

1 comment:

I always love hearing from you guys. Please feel free to share thoughts and let's encourage one another in Christ!